[core-workflow] Spelling out a suggested local workflow for sending PRs?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Mar 7 12:41:31 EST 2016

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 at 07:24 Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suggest that this be added to the new devguide, not a PEP, because there
> are many workflows that work for different people.

Yep, this isn't policy but simply a suggestion, so it should go in the
devguide.

> One category of workflow is "make a clone on GitHub for each suggested
> patch, then nuke that clone and start over for the next patch". A different
> category of workflow is "clone on GitHub, clone from there to my local
> machine, and keep my local machine up-to-date with the origin so I can keep
> putting in patches easily". And there are other workflows that are
> supported by different small tooling.
>
> FWIW, I still don't know which I prefer. We are having this issue in the
> IETF, and it is clear that people don't all agree on what they prefer.
>
> I'm happy to write text up on this for the devguide when it gets time to
> do so.

Great! Thanks, Paul!

My hope is that we get the devguide moved over early so that we can create
a "github" branch to hold the GitHub-related changes so that as soon as
cpython is ready to switch it will take nothing more than a merge of the
branch into `master` to make the changes appear online.

-Brett