[core-workflow] Software Factory

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 08:57:59 EST 2015

On 23 November 2015 at 23:01, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> On Nov 23, 2015, at 7:50 AM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> The UI of Gerrit is atrocious. It’s confusing and ugly. Once you spend the time to grok how it works it can be effective, but that requires sitting down and figuring out how it actually works first and one of the goals of the new workflows is lowering barriers to contributors, not shifting the learning curve from uploading patches to fighting with Gerrit.

I unfortunately have to agree with this - while I *really* like
several aspects of the Gerrit workflow (having used it while working
on beaker-project.org, rather than OpenStack), to the point of finding
pull request based workflows frustratingly clunky and unhelpful for
anything that touches more than a few lines of code, Gerrit itself is
really designed for cases where you have a highly engaged team using
the review system as a combined discussion tool and task tracker, and
less towards lowering barriers to review for simple cases.

Pull requests in either GitHub or GitLab will already be an
improvement over what we have today with Roundup+Rietveld, and they
leave the door open to enabling a more complex *opt-in* review
workflow in the future. While there's no counterpart to Reviewable for
GitLab that I'm aware of, the merge request API is rich enough to
enable one: http://doc.gitlab.com/ce/api/merge_requests.html (or, of
course, GitLab themselves may decide to implement it).

Cheers,
Nick.