[core-workflow] bugs.python.org-related GSoC project

Pierre-Yves David pierre-yves.david at ens-lyon.org
Thu Mar 26 01:03:53 CET 2015

On 03/16/2015 03:06 PM, Ezio Melotti wrote:
>> Pierre-Yves David (one of the Mercurial devs) has been working on a
>> >Mercurial extension for that at
>> >https://bitbucket.org/ncoghlan/cpydev/src/default/cpyhg.py?at=default
>> >
>> >He's hoping to spend more time on it soon so folks will have something
>> >to try out at the PyCon sprints, so I wouldn't bet on this idea still
>> >being around as a candidate project by the time GSoC rolls around.
>> >
> I'm not sure if Brett was suggesting to do this on the client side
> (i.e. a tool used by committers on their machines) or something on the
> b.p.o side since both have been considered and discussed in the past.
>
> If it's aimed to committers/contributors (like the one Nick linked)
> then we have to see if people wants something similar. Personally I
> find importing a patch from the tracker (hg imp --no-c
> url_of_the_patch), running the tests (./python -m test), and
> committing it (hg ci -m "message") trivial, so I would have little use
> for this tool.  I might find it more interesting if it allowed me to
> post patches to bpo without having to save a .diff and upload it
> manually, or if it had some kind of interaction with the other tools
> that we will use.

The idea here is to have a very simple extension talking to roundup and
allowing:

- apply latest patch from an issue

  `hg cpy-get <issuenumber>`

- upload patches to an issue

  `hg cpy-put <issuenumber>`

(I've not strong opinion on command names)

The first one (get) is really easy to do and will reduce the overhead of
looking at a patch. The second one is not hard either as long as we have
the appropriate API roundup side.

For about a year, I've been using one line command to fetch and submit
series of patches for the Mercurial project itself and it is really
convenient.

I gave a small look at the tool again this monday but got blocked by
permission issue on the current API (did not spend too much time to look
at it)

Cheers,

--
Pierre-Yves David