[core-workflow] web API to get a list of all module in stdlib

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 15:28:20 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 5:44 PM, francis <francismb at email.de> wrote:

> On 03/23/2015 01:06 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am doing an exercise as a part of agile ux data mining
> > team, and I need to get a list of Python modules:
> >

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6463918/how-can-i-get-a-list-of-all-the-python-standard-library-modules
> >
> > But this gives only the modules that were compiled into
> > specific interpreter, and I need a list of modules that are
> > de-facto included in stdlib standard.
> >
> > I also need this for all Python versions, and be able to
> > fetch it as csv, json or html table format over webm so
> > that result of my work could be validated and experiment
> > repeated as necessary.
> >

> > I see the data as the necessary step to organize a work
> > around "externally evolving standard library", so a way
> > to query it should be somewhat sustainable and obvious.
> >
> > It might be possible to generate something from docs, like:
> >
> > https://docs.python.org/2.7.2/dataset/modules.json
> >
> > This way you get static information without ability to
> > version or refresh the info (still good to have anyway to
> > compare docs and other sources).
>
> +1 for the idea to publish the final results to avoid "reparsing the
> wheel".
>
> IMHO it could be interesting for new versions to have some kind
> of "sys.stdlib_module_names" (as stated in SO). Why not proposing
> it on python-ideas?

Done. But I omitted the `sys.stdlib_module_names` part, because for
my use case in https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/python-stdlib project I need
more data exported than just names. For example, I collect the paths to
the module sources, so that further processing can be done on real
module files:

https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/python-stdlib/src/tip/stdlib.json?at=default

--
anatoly t.