[core-workflow] Questions about the core workflow

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Dec 12 17:49:40 EST 2015

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 at 11:32 Stefan Krah <skrah.temporarily at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [Guido]
> > On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 10:36 AM, Stefan Krah <skrah.temporarily <at>
> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     >> Since 5 years or so stating any kind of opinion that
>     >> remotely resembles the original free software principles (by that I
>     >> don't mean necessarily Stallman's views, just a basic desire for
>     >> decency, privacy, and a free and open atmosphere) is shouted down
>     >> vigorously.
>

> > Who is shouting you down here?
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear: I thought that Nick's paragraph was about
> *general* tendencies in open-source land that might necessitate an
> anonymous survey in order to get an accurate assessment of
> developer's opinions.
>
> I fully agree that *here* there was no shouting-down.
>

> > We listen, but AFAICT few agree.
>
> Are you sure? I got the impression that at least Nick, Barry and
> myself would favor GitLab. And there seem to be six active people
> in this discussion.

That's true, but I think the three of you seem to care the most to the
point of bringing up the perspective of open source. Absolutely no one has
privately or publicly expressed any problems with GitHub when I have
brought it up on python-committers or python-dev. Yes, some people have
said they would prefer GitLab, but I have yet to hear anyone say that they
are anti-GitHub (you're the closest, Stefan).

I have an idea in my head about settling this. Stay tuned.