[core-workflow] Questions about the proposed workflow

Stefan Krah skrah.temporarily at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 13:17:18 EST 2015

[D. Stufft]
> It seems pretty hypocritical to be against GitHub because it's proprietary
and hosted by a company that can sell your data (both things I've seen
people say against GitHub) and be pro GitLab EE [...]

Only in the abstract.  GitHub has an reported investment of 350.000.000,
while GitLab only has a very small fraction of that.  If selling private
repos doesn't justify that kind of money, it's pretty clear what will
happen!

To be fair, GitLab also has a rudimentary version of the annoying
per-developer statistics.

I'm also not claiming that GitHub already has a secret business plan
to turn evil -- development there seems to be a bit ad hoc, meandering
and informal.  The point is that they may *have* to turn evil, because
the private repo market simply isn't big enough.

Lastly, GitHub is to my knowledge the only one of RhodeCode, GitLab,
etc. that had at least one absolutely glaring own-the-world (write
access to all repos) security hole.

Stefan Krah