[core-workflow] the Misc/NEWS problem

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Sat Aug 8 22:17:55 CEST 2015

On Sat, 08 Aug 2015 17:44:04 -0000, Brett Cannon <bcannon at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, assuming David's in agreement then I think this approach wins with the
> comma-separated field for commits that the hg hook for Roundup auto-appends
> to and of course the field to enter the NEWS entry.
>
> Now the next question is how easy/hard is it to implement this, how long
> will it take, and who is willing to do the work? With this in hand we can
> propose it to python-committers for 3.6 since the NEWS file should be easy
> enough to back-fill to this approach while its still small.

Yes I agree this is the best approach, assuming we can get it
implemented.  The advantage of #4, though, is that Ezio already did the
work.

I'm *willing* to do the roundup work, but I don't know as I have the
required time, at least for the next month.  Part of the trick is the
need to get a test instance set up...there was work done at PyCon and
after at making a tracker-in-a-box, so I'd need to find out where that
was at and learn how to use it (or finish it, if needed).  The code
itself is probably a half-day job, probably including enhancing the hook
to update the commits field.  But together with getting a working test
instance we're talking a couple days work at least.

Writing the NEWS generating script is a not exactly trivial job, but
probably wants to wait until we have the REST API.  So we'd have
upgrading our Roundup to that when it lands on the list as well, with a
3.6 Beta 1 deadline on getting it all done.

--David