[Conferences] Establishing a new conference

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jul 11 20:32:05 CEST 2013

On 11.07.2013 19:47, Jason Myers wrote:
> We'd like to have a PyTennessee or SouthernPy conference.  How do we go
> about getting the blessed and assisted by the PSF? Or are we free to just
> go seek sponsors and locations on our own? Do we need to be a 501? Is there
> a "How to conference guide?" last one was a joke.... sort of.

Some answers:

 * have a look at:
   http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonConferences
   http://wiki.python.org/moin/AdvocacyWritingTasks/RunningAConference

 * contact other local conferences for advice

 * the PSF can help financially via grants or sponsorship

 * the PSF may also be able to help with venue negotiations
   (but those things are still in the planning phase)

 * names such as the ones you mentioned are not restricted by
   the PSF; if you want to use "Python" in a name or the logo,
   please consult the TM policy:
   http://www.python.org/psf/trademarks/

 * you don't need to be a 501, not even a legal body - the PSF
   can provide the needed fiscal sponsorship:
   http://wiki.python.org/moin/FiscalSponsorship

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 11 2013)
2013-07-16: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                  5 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/