[Conferences-discuss] What happened?

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:05:46 -0800 (PST)

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Aahz:
>> Guido:
>>>
>>> 2. Have a dirt cheap conference organized by YAS together with Python
>>>    volunteers.  Kevin Lenzo of YAS once told me they can do it in June
>>>    at CMU (Pittsburgh).
>>
>> Seems to me that even more than most conventions, the critical resource
>> for the dirt-cheap conference is facilities, so we need to find someone
>> or some group willing to handle that (and pick a date) before we do
>> anything else.
>
> Read what I wrote again. :-)  Kevin was offering me specific
> facilities at a specific date.  All we need is ask (I think David
> Ascher offered to be the YAS relay).

Gotcha.  Wasn't clear whether they were offering to help (and happened
to know that the facility was available) or offering to *be* facilities
coordinators.

>> I suggested earlier that we ask YAS to set up a donation pool for
>> getting the necessary front money, but I didn't get a clear response
>> on what was needed for that.
>
> I don't understand why you would need that money.  Is this how YAS
> gets its YAPC going?

If YAS is running facilities for us, it's probably not necessary (given
their track record).  My experience with running conventions is that
front money tends to grease things with facilities quite a bit, and that
goes double or triple for a new convention.
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.