[Conferences-discuss] Crackle, crackle, "hello"...

Adam Turoff ziggy@panix.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:04:55 -0500

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 06:30:22AM -0800, Aahz Maruch wrote:
> If we go with the volunteer-run option, I suggest that the PSF start
> taking "pre-support" money now, something like $50 per person, with the
> guarantee that all pre-supporters will get $100 off the early-bird reg
> fee.  I looked at IPC10, and the total fee was $1150 for all five days
> for early-bird.  I think we could get that down to about $500-$700, or
> even lower if we're willing to dispense with amenities such as free
> danish in the morning.

YAS has been pretty successful with a bi-level pricing model:

	~US$100 per person
	~US$300 per person who needs to fill out an expense report,
		and needs a "more realistic price" to get approval to
		attend.  (Or per generous person).

	[speakers attend free, but occasionally still pay anyway]

That's for a 3-day event, with no extra fees for attending tutorials,
no payments to presenters for presenting, no travel/accomodation budget
for speakers, etc.  No hotel/dorm fees included, but arrangements and
group rates have been negotiated in advance.

This has worked for 5 YAPCs thus far and the model is being used for
2-3 more YAPCs this year.  Of course, this presumes an academic venue,
and sponsorship making up the shortfall (catering costs for breakfast,
coffee breaks, etc.).  Last year in Montreal, it was quite reasonable
not to cater lunch because there were enough places nearby to visit
for lunch without overwhelming the area.  No one minded.

Z.