[concurrency] Talk worth watching

Yuval Greenfield ubershmekel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:14:39 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

> If you haven't seen it, this is probably worth a gander:
> http://yow.eventer.com/events/1004/talks/1055
>
> It's a research scientist discussing his plans for concurrency in
> Haskell. I think his goals - and ideas - are pretty solid. However,
> since he's doing research, he can afford to use an obscure language
> that makes his life easier. Getting this stuff working in a practical
> language like Python will be a bit more difficult.

This is pretty much a fanboy rant on Haskell and STM, I did like "parMap",
here's a python implementation:

    from multiprocessing import Pool

    def f(x):
         return x*x

    if __name__ == "__main__":
        p = Pool(5)
        print(p.map(f, [1,2,3]))

A problem with that for the functional guys is it doesn't work with lambdas
or closures.