[code-quality] PyLint and Travis

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Jul 18 03:47:42 EDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 09:01:39AM +0200, Kay Hayen wrote:
> Hello Florian,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> > > How to approach that. Is there a way I could have enforced using 1.9.2
> > > on the "master" branch for Travis (and probably "develop" too), and
> > > use the latest greatest PyLint for "factory" only. Anyone know if that
> > > is possible, somehow, anybody doing something like that? Or maybe
> > > install a given version, but make it an error if that version is not
> > > the most recent on only the factory branch, what are people doing in
> > > this regard?
> >
> > You'd usually use requirements.txt files with exact version pinning -
> > ideally not only for pylint, but for all your dependencies and tools, to
> > ensure deterministic, reproducable results.
> >
> > Then you can use https://requires.io/ or https://pyup.io/ to get
> > notifications (or pull requests) to periodically update the pinned
> > versions.
>
> That sounds very nice. But you wouldn't normally put pylint into
> the standard requirements, would you, so you would have a dedicated,
> separate requirement file for it, to use with these services?

I often see a requirements.txt (with runtime dependencies) and a
requirements-dev.txt (with test runners, linters, etc.) in projects.

I personally like to go even further and have one requirements file for
every job on Travis (i.e. tests/pylint/flake8/...):
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/tree/master/misc/requirements

I also have a script to automatically rebuild them, but you're probably
not going to need that if you just rely in pyup/requires.io:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/scripts/dev/recompile_requirements.py

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)