[code-quality] Pylint hosting on ReadTheDocs prevents successful searches

Ian Stapleton Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 10:15:43 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 6:05 AM, Quantum Mechanic
<quantum.mechanic.1964 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Googling for "pylint pylintrc" gives me the first hit as
> https://docs.pylint.org/en/1.6.0/run.html.
>
> This lands me on https://docs.pylint.org/en/1.6.0/run.html, asking me to
> login. I have a login, and clicking "Login" sends me to
> https://readthedocs.org/dashboard/, spoiling the google search.

I was not asked to log into anything on that site. You'll need to
provide a whole lot more detail.

> In fact, searching on google only shows me that something might be there. I
> have to search *again* on ReadTheDocs, which isn't friendly at all.
>
> Poking around until I find a search box at
> https://pylint.readthedocs.io/en/latest/, I type in "pylintrc", which
> returns the *same bloody page* (OK, yes, it has this helpful bit:
> https://pylint.readthedocs.io/en/latest/?highlight=pylintrc, which does
> exactly...nothing.)
>
> So I'm stuck trolling around in the full docs there. Instead, I should just
> pull down the source code, and do my own grep -r.
>
> I feel like I've been violated.

This sounds like an attempt to be humorous at the expense of people
who have actually been physically violated. That isn't acceptable on
this list and is not tolerated by any mailing list hosted on
python.org. Please refrain from this in the future.