[code-quality] Thanks for pyflakes

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 04:25:19 EDT 2017

I just wanted to thank the pyflakes devs for having written the most useful
checker in the python world. Pyflakes catches roughly 90% of the
programming blunders I make, before ever I run the code.

My configuration of Leo ensures that:

- pyflakes checks all changed .py files as Leo writes them,
- Leo raises a dialog so that I can't ignore pyflakes warnings :-)

​In other words, the pyflakes warnings are so important that it's
worthwhile to stop everything and deal with them.

11 months ago I studied pyflakes in detail in this repo
<https://github.com/edreamleo/pyflakes-study>. The introductory remarks
called pyflakes a work of genius.  My admiration for pyflakes has only
grown since then.

At that time I suggested some changes that would make pyflakes about 10%
faster at the cost of making the code more complex.  I regret making those
suggestions.  Pyflakes is plenty fast, even on Leo's biggest source files,
some of which are almost 300K in size.

Again, thank you for a truly great tool.

Edward