[code-quality] Pull request for pyflakes-study code?

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:31:07 EDT 2016

Hello all,

The pyflakes-study code <https://github.com/edreamleo/pyflakes-study>
project is complete.  I am wondering whether a pull request for the actual
pyflakes project would be appropriate.

I would be happy to issue the pull request, but I'm not sure how to do that
from one project (pyflakes_study) to another (pyflakes itself). Perhaps the
pyflakes devs could investigate what I have done first.

Notes:

1. Only checker.py should have to change.  All other files would remain
unchanged.

2. All unit tests pass within the pyflakes-study environment, with the
exception of the api tests, which rely on the actual pyflakes directory
structure.

3. The new code uses two top-level switches, aft (use the AstFullTraverser
class) and new_scope (replace the scope property with a few other lines of
code).  Leaving in these switches makes it easy to see where the
substantive changes are, but presumably they would be removed from the
final code after your evaluation.

4. I changed _FieldsOrder._get_fields during my study, but this method
disappears when aft is True.  Several other important methods also
disappear when aft is True.

5. It would be possible to evaluate checker.py using any editor, but the
best view of the code is obtained by using Leo, that is,
pyflakes_study.leo.  Otoh, I am not suggesting that this .leo file be part
of the official pyflakes distro.

​All comments and suggestions welcome.

Edward​