[code-quality] Pylint reports, is anyone using them?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Aug 19 05:57:38 CEST 2015

* Chris Rebert <pycodequal at rebertia.com> [2015-08-18 16:44:20 -0700]:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Claudiu Popa <pcmanticore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > For quite some time, since the very first 'Forget the past' commit I have
> > access to, pylint had the ability of providing additional reports, such as
> > Global evaluation, Messages by category, Statistics by type etc.
> > For those of you who are unfamiliar with them, they look like this
> > http://paste.openstack.org/show/421040/
> > pylint provides an easy way to disable them, by using the --reports
> > flag, as in `--reports=y|n`.
> >
> > After using pylint for some time, they're started to feel useless for me
> > and I'm always disabling them when running pylint.
>
> Likewise. They are always the first thing I disable when setting up a
> pylint.rc file, and I am perpetually annoyed when I forget to include
> "-r n" when pylinting a one-off script via terminal.

This. :)

> > Would it cause problems for you?
>
> I guess removing the command-line option could break some build
> scripts, but the fix would be trivial and removing it would still
> definitely be a net win for me.

Hopefully the deprecation would help with that - other than that, it
might make sense to keep -r/--reports as valid but ignore it?

> > Are these reports in any sense useful for you?

As discussed in IRC: For a non-trivial project they're long[1] and you
have to search the actual output in that mess.

I use the "lines of code" feature from time to time, but I'm sure I
can find another tool which does this for me.

[1] http://paste.the-compiler.org/view/892e50d1

Florian