[code-quality] pylint can't deduce the type of an object

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.net
Sat Nov 29 18:43:10 CET 2014

On Fri, 2014-11-28 at 23:09 +0200, Claudiu Popa wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.net> wrote:
> > Hi all; as mentioned in a previous post, I am looking into updating my
> > curring pylint (1.0.1) to newer pylint 1.4.0.
> >
> > I've got one significant problem left and I'm not sure how to resolve
> > it: in the new pylint I'm seeing a number of errors like this:
> >
> >   mymod.py:227: [E1101(no-member), MyMod.__str__] Instance of 'int' has no 'get_val' member
>
> Could you give me a small sample to reproduce this problem?
> If it's not an opened issue with this error, you could open one on our
> bug tracker, so it won't be lost in mails.

I constructed a small(-ish) test case and created an issue in the
tracker:

https://bitbucket.org/logilab/pylint/issue/400/pylint-assumes-an-incorrect-member-type

As mentioned there the problem seems to be that I'm creating an object
on a separate thread, asynchronously, based on some content I'm reading
over a network socket and then when I try to use the object on the main
thread pylint isn't able to deduce the type.