[code-quality] Static checker for common Python programming errors

Stefan Bucur stefan.bucur at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 12:29:33 CET 2014

On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 2:01:46 PM Dave Halter <davidhalter88 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Stefan
>
> I'm playing with this as well in Jedi. I'm pretty far with flow analysis
> and AttributeErrors. (This includes everything you mention above except
> integer division by zero). Would be easy to implement in Jedi, though. I
> just have different priorities, at the moment.
>
> If you have some time on your hands you can watch my EuroPython talk about
> this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfVHSw0iOsk I'm also glad to skype
> (gaukler_) if you're interested. Jedi is not well known for doing static
> analysis. But it's my goal to change this now.

Thanks Dave for the pointer. I watched your talk and had a look at Jedi's
code — this is quite nice and would indeed be great to better expose the
static analysis potential of the framework.

What I'm trying to achieve is something a bit different. My goal is to
reuse as much as possible the "implicit specs" of the interpreter itself
(CPython), as opposed to implementing them again in my analysis tool.

We already have an execution engine that uses the interpreter to
automatically explore multiple paths through a piece of Python code. You
can read here the academic paper, with case studies for Python and Lua:
http://dslab.epfl.ch/pubs/chef.pdf

I'm now working on extending this technique to other types of analyses and
I'm trying to determine the most relevant types of analyses and checks for
Python. So far, I conclude that type inference would serve multiple
purposes and is on the top of my list.

Stefan