[code-quality] Implicit String Concatenation Threads

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Sat May 11 20:24:19 CEST 2013

Hey all,

I've been forwarding (and trying to CC) our list on those messages as
much as possible. In case any of you weren't already subscribed to the
python-ideas list, Guido has proposed that python no longer allow the
following:

    foo = ('abc'
              'def'
    )

Mainly because it can cause confusing TypeErrors for the functions
taking a certain number of arguments. There are a few ideas floating
around that thread, one of which is that we (the code-quality tool
authors) provide warnings or errors when someone does:

    foo('a' 'b')

i.e., uses the implicit concatenation on a single line.

I'm personally far more in favor of this (mainly for older versions of
python) + a SyntaxError for newer versions but to allow the multi-line
concatenation to continue.

Some are in favor of adding a new string prefix like `m` or `s`.

All of this aside, we may have to start including support for this in
our tools so I wanted everyone to be well aware of the discussion.

Hopefully people will continue the trend I've tried to start of CC'ing
code-quality but that likely won't happen.

Cheers,
Ian