[Chicago] ChiPy August 2019 Main Meeting

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 09:04:38 EDT 2019

Hi ChiPy,

We have a great main meeting planned at Active Campaign for this month that
is just around the corner. Please stop by to listen to some great talks by
Katie, Ainsley and Tim. Stop by and meet people who are interested in
Python. Hope to see you there!

Thank you very much to Active Campaign <https://www.activecampaign.com/>
for hosting us month!

*When:*Thus August 8, 2019, 6 p.m.

6:00pm Doors open
6:30pm: Meeting starts

*How:*You can RSVP at chipy.org <http://www.chipy.org/> by noon the day of
the event.

*Where:*
Active Campaign
1 North Dearborn St Suite 500, Chicago IL, 60602

*What:*

   - *Scaling out Airflow*
   By: Katie Simmons
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   Katie Simmons, a data engineer at ActiveCampaign, will speak about the
   challenges and benefits of using Airflow for ETL at a rapidly growing
   company. ActiveCampaign has many thousands of databases - some including
   tables with up to a trillion rows - several APIs and new source requests
   coming in every week. This lightning talk will be an overview of using
   Airflow to extract, load and transform that data into our data lake so that
   it can be used for Business Intelligence and Data Science.
   - *The Philosopher's Groan: How I Finally Fell In Love With SQLAlchemy*
   By: Ainsley McGrath
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   I first encountered SQLAlchemy several years ago. I didn't get it. It
   seemed every line I attempted to write would drop me into 50 tabs of
   labyrinthine documentation. Why do we have the ORM *and* Core? Should I
   build my tables as `Table` instances or should I be extending `Base`? How
   is `Base` more declarative than a function that returns `Table`s?? Can I
   please just write SQL??? :sob: I'm still hesitant to peek too far behind
   the curtain, but I do think I've finally wrapped my head around the
   philosophical underpinnings of the library and the different problems
   SQLAlchemy allows us to solve. After all, who among us works with databases
   that aren't problems in and of themselves?
   - *Throw away your shell scripts*
   By: Nick Timkovich
   Experience Level: Intermediate
   One of the most common languages used by Python developers is some shell
   script (sh, bash, cmd.exe, or PowerShell), but why torture yourself with
   poor design decisions from the 70s when you know Python?

Thank you always to all our sponsors, including our Diamond sponsors: Metis
and Telnyx
Also thank you to our Platinum sponsors: Braintree, Imaginary Landscape,
Lumere, and Signature Consultants.
Also, thank you to our Silver sponsor: Markit.

Please be aware of our code of conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/

--
Joe J. Jasinski
www.joejasinski.com