[Chicago] Cloud computing software developer at University of Chicago

Pierre Riteau priteau at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 26 13:30:42 EDT 2016

Hello,

We are seeking a cloud computing software developer at University of Chicago to be part of the Nimbus team. Most of our development is in Python and we use OpenStack on several projects.

To apply please visit http://jobopportunities.uchicago.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=232936

About us:

The Nimbus team is a pioneer in infrastructure cloud computing having developed what is now recognized as the first open source Infrastructure-as-a-Service implementation. We work closely with scientific application communities and develop innovative solutions in cloud computing infrastructures and platforms, with particular focus on cloud computing platforms supporting High Performance Computing and Big Data applications and systems. To facilitate cloud computing research on national scale, we also operate an experimental testbed supporting cloud computing research. Our overall mission is to develop innovative technical solutions enabling new methods creating unprecedented opportunities in science. The Nimbus team provides a friendly, challenge oriented environment.

About the job:

The job involves participation in two Nimbus projects. First, it will involve contributing to building and operating the Chameleon experimental infrastructure for cloud computing (www.chameleoncloud.org). Specific tasks might involve: working with OpenStack to provide additional features or troubleshoot problems, help operate the testbed working closely with our system administrators, and respond to user requests. The second project involves participating in development of infrastructure that combines cloud computing and HPC capabilities for resource management and container optimization. Specific tasks will involve enhancing or developing infrastructure-as-a-service system (e.g., Openstack), exploring or orchestrating their interaction with HPC tools (such as e.g., batch schedulers), and performance evaluation.

Why join us:

- You truly belong to the team; your contributions are valued and your initiatives are welcomed
- You participate in shaping the directions of our existing and future projects
- You make a positive change to the world by contributing to the advancement of science

Key requirements for the job:

- Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science or another relevant computer related field
- The more relevant programming experience the better (preferably demonstrated via contributions to open source software)
- Programming experience with Python preferred
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux, IaaS cloud systems (OpenStack, AWS), virtualization technologies/containers, and other relevant technologies
- Experience with system administration and DevOps tools, such as Chef and Puppet, preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, work both independently and in a team environment, and a keen sense of humor

For more detail and to apply please visit http://jobopportunities.uchicago.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=232936