[Chicago] OpenALPR - Transformations

John Cronan kyle at pbx.org
Sat Nov 5 23:40:42 EDT 2016

That act only applies to those who are "acting under the color of State
law." This is a legal term that means the act is purported to be done
within an official capacity. Yes, that contradicts the synopsis,
technically speaking.

-JKC

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 9:26 PM, Michael Tamillow <mikaeltamillow96 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Actually it is this act:
>
> http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?
> DocTypeID=HB&DocNum=3289&GAID=13&SessionID=88&LegID=89469
>
> Synopsis As Introduced
> Creates the Automated License Plate Recognition System Act. Defines
> "automated license plate recognition system" and *limits the use of such
> systems to use by law enforcement personnel and their agencies for use in
> an ongoing investigation*. Provides that data collected from use of the
> system may only be kept for 30 days after it was obtained unless necessary
> for an ongoing investigation. Provides that a violation of the Act is a
> Class A misdemeanor.
>
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 7:26 PM, John Stoner <johnstoner2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That looks more to me like restrictions on law enforcement use of license
>> plate readers. I don't see where it applies to civilian use at all.
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 6:01 AM Michael Tamillow <
>> mikaeltamillow96 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=1351&
>>> GAID=13&DocTypeID=SB&LegId=87838&SessionID=88
>>>
>>> It looks like what you are doing is likely not legal in the state of
>>> Illinois (or soon won't be). I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know the exact
>>> nature of your project, nor do I know the exact status of the act, so I
>>> can't say anything about that fine line. Probably best to avoid anything
>>> that amounts to collecting personal data on strangers that could be used to
>>> identify them. And if you are knowingly breaking the law, better not to
>>> create a virtual trail (e.g. Paul Combetta). If this is simply a learning
>>> experience for image recognition, may I suggest the MNIST data set for
>>> starters.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone
>>>
>>> On Nov 4, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Jason Wirth <wirth.jason at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you be a little more specific in the problem you have; I looked at
>>> the sample image on the site and tried a couple random images on the demo
>>> and it detected a skewed plate so I'm not sure what's not working. Is it
>>> that yours is highly skewed while theirs only detects moderately skewed
>>> images, or it cannot read the numbers correctly?
>>>
>>> Also, what do you mean by "sometimes that it doesn't read it correctly"?
>>> What's the overall accuracy?
>>>
>>> In many cases you can automatically create a huge training data set by
>>> taking a good image then applying various tilt, skew, and reshaping
>>> transformations. Perhaps you can train something yourself.
>>>

>>> --
>>>     Jason Wirth
>>>     wirth.jason at gmail.com
>>>
>>> On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 2:38 PM, Robare, Phillip (TEKSystems) <
>>> proba at allstate.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some links you may find useful below.  I am surprised ALPR doesn't do
>>> this already.
>>>
>>> The problems reading license plates by humans have resulted in deaths
> [...]
>>> 9cTOW9w&r=VXIryE9UwJGlNMLzgMzDT4_t2NMrZf6alSphHwSEwC0&m=aGir
>>> qomLg7oSQWy-OKQqUWrYZDOqsWUYn7NEEJF2wo0&s=IbFXGkHqKjSJk4LX4e
>>> wkoVwyajgo6UOWIoSznB8I7ps&e=