[Chicago] ChiPy May 2015

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Tue May 10 23:00:49 EDT 2016

ChiPy,

Our May 12th meeting is upcoming, and we have some good talks planned.

This month, our first batch of ChiPy T-shirts will also be on sale for $15!

Join us at 6:00pm to hang out, network, and eat!

New ChiPy attendees are invited to stop by the "ChiPy Welcoming Table" at
6:30pm, where you can learn more about ChiPy and meet some new people.

The presentations will begin promptly at 7:00pm.

All are welcome! Please RSVP
<http://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/events/230731798/> soon.  Please provide
your full name in the RSVP for the security check at the door.

*When:*
Thursday May 12th

   - 6:00pm:  doors open; food arrives
   - 6:30pm - 6:45: ChiPy Welcoming Table open
   - 7:00pm:  Talks Start

*How:*
You can rsvp at chipy.org or via our Meetup
<http://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/> group.

*Where:*
Braintree
222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza <https://goo.gl/maps/Tb4AcPVJYwC2>
Suite 800
Chicago, IL

*What:*

   - *The 'collections' module*
   (0:10:00 Minutes)
   By: Phil Robare
   A quick overview of the collections module and its five data structures.
   The talk will be aimed at the intermediate level python user who has the
   basic syntax down but has not yet delved into the wealth of programming
   tools in the standard library.

   - *pyStan: Bayesian Inference for Fun and Profit*
   (0:30:00 Minutes)
   By: Stephen Hoover
   Probabilistic programming languages offer a flexible and expressive way
   to model data by treating random variables as first-class objects. Stan is
   a popular and well-supported library which allows users to write models in
   the Stan programming language and use MCMC methods to perform Bayesian
   inference. Stan itself is written in C++, and has a Python interface
   through the PyStan package. In this talk, I'll show off some of the
   capabilities of PyStan and go through a simple practical example of
   Bayesian inference in Python.

   - *Python, Startups, Tech Debt, and You*
   (0:20:00 Minutes)
   By: Matt Erickson
   There's a lot of people newish to Python and either interested or
   already in a startup environment (either within a larger corporation or an
   actual startup). Python makes a *great* tool for that, however while
   there’s ways to use it to carry your work along to great success, there’s
   ways to wind up with such spaghetti you’re tempted to throw your hands in
   the air and go back to Java. The focus on the talk is how to use Python and
   the tools it provides to avoid the unmaintainable mess while still being
   able to “cut corners” to get something out the door to make your
   boss/investors/customers happy.

Thanks always to all our Platinum sponsors, especially: Braintree,
Imaginary Landscape, and Telnyx.

Please be aware of our code of conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/

See you there!

--