[Chicago] Ask ChiPy: How would you invest on building skills this year?

Chris Foresman foresmac at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 15:55:25 EST 2016

Vokal is very supportive of continued education, offering a $2,000 per year budget for each employee to spend attending conferences or taking online or offline classes. From my experience with that, $100 doesn’t get you very far. Either classes are free (meetups, etc) or exorbitantly expensive (e.g. AWS devops certification costs $2,000, Scrum master training is like $2,400, Beazly’s class is a couple grand, etc).

I supposed I’d spend the $100 on a Raspberry Pi or similar setup and a handful of components to experiment with. I think that would get me the most bang for my buck.

Chris Foresman
chris at chrisforesman.com