[Chicago] ChiPy January 14th Meeting

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 03:09:57 EST 2016

ChiPy,

We hope to see you on Thursday January 14th for this month's ChiPy Meeting.
Over the past few months, the mentors and mentees of the ChiPy Mentorship
Program have been working hard on Python projects of all types. Come see
what they have been up to as they present their work. All are welcome!
Please RSVP <http://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/events/227193890/> soon.

*When:*
Thursday January 14th, 7:00pm

*How:*
You can rsvp at chipy.org or via our Meetup
<http://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/> group.

*Where:*
GogoAir <https://goo.gl/maps/2Sx7GYGyenp>
111 N Canal St. Chicago, IL 60606

*What:*

   - *Dustin Shapiro's Python 101 Menteeship!*
   By: Dustin Shapiro
   This is a brief overview depicting where I started before this
   mentorship, through the various projects me and Ray worked on, and where I
   plan to take it moving forward!
   - *Building a BusTracker Tracker*
   By:
   First, I’ll discuss a data-gathering pipeline that uses AWS Lambda
   functions written in Python to scrape CTA’s BusTracker prediction service
   and interpolate actual arrival times. Then I’ll detail an API written in
   Django REST Framework to select and analyze a range of data. Finally, a
   simple JavaScript-based front-end visualizes the data provided by the API.
   - *Using Python for Kaggle competitions*
   By: Hana Lee
   (Lightning talk as part of ChiPy mentorship) I'll be talking about using
   Python to develop a classifier for a Kaggle competition looking at crime
   data in San Francisco
   - *Constructing a risk metric from google query data*
   By: Michael Tamillow
   We have created a dataset from the search queries provided by Google and
   matched it up with some market data. We will attempt to produce a some
   metric or predictive model given the limited, slightly correlated data.

Thanks always to all our sponsors, especially: Braintree, Imaginary
Landscape, and Telnyx.

Please be aware of our code of conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/

--
Joe J. Jasinski