[Chicago] ChiPy December 2016 Meeting

Joe Jasinski joe.jasinski at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 23:32:49 EST 2016

ChiPy,

This month's meeting is almost here and we have a great lineup of Python
talks!

Hope to see you there!

*When:*
Thursday December 8th
6:00pm:  doors open; food arrives
7:00pm:  Talks Start promptly at 7

*How:*You can rsvp at chipy.org or via our Meetup
<https://www.meetup.com/_ChiPy_/events/235554012/> group.

*Where:*
LaSalle Network
200 N LaSalle St, Chicago, IL 60606
26th Floor

*What:*

   - *Smuggling Snakes in a Box: A Docker + Python Love Story*
   By: Hector Rios
   Experience Level: Novice
   Do you yearn? Have you ever tried to volunteer at a project but had an
   extremely difficult time trying to get everyone the right development
   environment? Do you ever work with a project that works in your computer
   but not in a server? Do you have a different dependency versions? (btw,
   that's kinda bad practice but don't fret, we gotchu) Yearn no more! With
   Docker, these things can be a thing of the past. Join in a brief, live
   coding session that will show you how to build a simple Bottle app and put
   it into a Docker container.
   - *Python in the Classroom and at Sea*
   By: Thane Richard
   I was Ray's mentee during the summer of 2016. My project lets a player
   of Minecraft Pi 3D print an object they have built in the game. I will
   co-present this project with Peg Keiner, the Technology Director at GEMS
   World Academy in Chicago where my program was used in their elementary
   school classroom this Fall. I will also share some neat projects from my
   stint this Fall as a High School Marine Science teacher aboard the schooner
   Roseway during Ocean Classroom (worldoceanschool.org). I introduced
   students to Python and had them design and code a sensor kit with Raspberry
   Pi's to measure an aspect of the sailboat. The code is viewable on my
   github profile: https://github.com/thaneofcawdor.
   - *Using pyodbc to execute SQL queries*
   By: Anish Krishnan
   How to access a database using pyodbc, and how to execute basic queries
   through Python.

Thanks always to all our Platinum sponsors, especially: Braintree,
Imaginary Landscape, and Telnyx.

Please be aware of our code of conduct http://www.chipy.org/pages/conduct/

See you there!

--