[Chicago] Teaching Java people Python.

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Tue Dec 6 11:17:32 EST 2016

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Robare, Phillip (TEKSystems) <
proba at allstate.com> wrote:

> [...] This is usually taught in a “Survey of Programming Languages” class,
> typically taught mid-way through the undergraduate CS curriculum.  I would
> argue however that it should be revisited in the graduate curriculum since
> there is such a rich intersection of psychology, hardware and theoretical
> computation here.

I took a class like that as an undergrad and I had a blast. It's been a
while so I might have the syllabus wrong, but here's what I remember: We
went through different approaches to memory management; and we also covered
different language paradigms such as logical, functional, procedural,
object oriented. We'd do some exercises in each language. I remember
enjoying prolog and ml the most. I wouldn't mind taking another class like
this. I've forgotten a lot and there'd be plenty of new things to learn as
well.

shekay at pobox.com