[Chicago] Teaching Java people Python.

Jonathan Pietkiewicz jdanielp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:32:51 EST 2016

Jason,

What follows are my recommendations (in order of priority) as a relatively
new (2-3 yrs?) Python dev with nearly 20 years before that in C, C++, and
Java.

The Python tutorial Jordan mentions was a nice first step for me. (+1)
 Brett Slatkin's Effective Python helped me as I started getting my Python
legs.  I realize "Python Legs" is an odd phrase, but "sea legs" is a strong
metaphor and Effective Python is required reading, but not the first book a
new Python dev should read.

The Hettinger talk T mentions was a revelation. (+1)

Anything that emphasizes focusing on the built-in types before creating a
class is going to help.  I think the tutorial does that to some extent.

I don't have any talks/reading that covers the standard library, but I
would emphasize the power of Python's "batteries included" standard
library.  Coming from other languages to Python, or better yet, having to
go from Python to using other languages again, has driven home to me how
utterly fabulous the standard library is.  I don't google "how to do X in
python" anymore.  I search "X" in docs.python.org.

And then there's pip/conda/etc. And then there's virtualenv.  And then
there's all the power (and responsibility) that comes with dynamic typing.

Some of these are more like bullet points for new Python programmers, but
they are the progression I've followed as I've grown into Python.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan