[Chicago] Python Hype

Don Sheu dinaldo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 12:28:12 EDT 2016

Paul Graham's blog post, "Python Paradox," was August 2004. Might help with
some of the anchors in your hype curve.

http://paulgraham.com/pypar.html
ᐧ

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:36 AM, Michael Tamillow <
mikaeltamillow96 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have looked at that Gartner hype curve before and other Gartner tools
> and am fully convinced that Gartner is a $7.3 billion dollar company that
> just makes up stuff and then brands it effectively.
>
> I think this falls perfectly in line with what Data Science is all about.
> Looks awesome!
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> "So if I were to position Python at the peak, which I'm not going to
>> spoil the results you will see at my talk, then it would be right on
>> "Activity beyond early adopters", and before "Negative press begins"."
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> The "problem" with Python (if you can call it that) is that it is
>> mature technology. It's not like a Unicorn whose weaknesses have yet
>> to be revealed. To the extent that there is negative press, it
>> happened a long time ago. The big problems are/were the GIL and
>> general performance (hard to optimize). Projects like PyPy, Nuitka,
>> Cython and others are making headway in these areas I think. Future
>> negative press will probably only emerge if all of them flop.
>>
>> Just my 2¢
>>
>> Skip

Don Sheu
312.880.9389

My Python user group in May meets at Redfin
*http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/events/230373146/
<http://www.meetup.com/PSPPython/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*: *The information contained in this message may be
protected trade secrets or protected by applicable intellectual property
laws of the United States and International agreements. If you believe that
it has been sent to you in error, do not read it. Please immediately reply
to the sender that you have received the message in error. Then delete it.
Thank you.*