[Chicago] Sympy for Python 3 ???

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Tue Sep 29 18:51:34 CEST 2015

Hi William,

Thanks for the reply.  I think Anaconda is GREAT!  However, there are times
when I prefer the simplicity of IDLE.  What's strange is that IDLE does not
have access to Anaconda's modules, even when I use Python's os.chdir( )
command to switch over to the folder/directory that contains those modules!
 (Or at least I think I did.  There are so many files! )  For example, when
I'm in Anaconda I can *import sympy* and everything is wonderful.  But IDLE
returns an error and complains that I'm trying to import a non-existent
module.   :-(  Anaconda is great, but 1) You can't go back and edit
previous lines in the Anaconda Terminal, and 2) the *ipython notebook*
solves this problem nicely, but I always have problems saving and
restarting the notebook's file.  On my Mac, the "ipython notebook" command
creates a Safari page, and I can use Python from within the Safari page.
Great!  But then let's say I save the file with a .ipynb extension.  If I
double-click on this file in the future, Safari opens it up alright, but
none of the command lines are executable, and the file isn't much fun to
read or look at.  I'm probably missing a step or a command or something
like that.  But yes, in general Anaconda is quite impressive and the
installation is pretty easy.  In Anaconda all the important modules are at
my fingertips, so it is really nice to work with for the most part.  But
again, IDLE has advantages.  In IDLE, I can move the cursor around inside a
function's definition to change stuff.  Not in the Anaconda Terminal.  Once
I ENTER over to the next line, I'm stuck!  I can't get back.  The best I
can do is just CNTRL-C and start my function definition over again.

I think my answer was way too long!  Sorry!  Just trying to explain what's
going on.  I just wish there was a way that I could get IDLE to access all
the modules that Anaconda can access.  Not really sure how to do it without
tearing apart my operating system.  (And I really don't want to do that! )
 I must say that on this particular issue Linux really does have a leg up
on Mac OS-X because of Linux's builtin package managers.  However, for
other things I really prefer Mac OS-X.  I wish we could combine the best of
both worlds!  Let's call it LINAC!!!   :-)

Doug.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 8:19 AM, William E. S. Clemens <wesclemens at gmail.com