[Chicago] Data export ?

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Fri Sep 4 17:16:22 CEST 2015

Are you thinking of providing a web site for this? I will consider the case
where you might want to use django.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:00 PM, Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1. Being able to connect to some database source using sqlalchemy or
> directly.

If this is not a flexible requirement it might be a deal breaker depending
on your goal.

If you use django, maybe try django-rest-pandas.

https://github.com/wq/django-rest-pandas

2. Being able to display to column fields and ask the user to rearrange
> them, select unselect them , possibly concatenate two fields,maybe
> transform date to other format, save layout.

I don't know d3js or other front-end stuff to know how easy it would be to
do this. Presumably you could write something to do the above and then call
your restful api to submit a patch or post a new thing? <hand waves>

> 3. Then allow export to csv or xls

built in to django-rest-pandas.

> 4. Bonus feature: being able to schedule that export
> 5. Bonus feature: being able to queue exports

Doable with a cron job or something more sophisticated depending on your
needs. For a cron job, you could set up a script to call your service api.
For something more sophisticated you could use celery to create tasks in
your django project.

shekay at pobox.com