[Chicago] Open spots for python devs on my team

Jason Wirth wirth.jason at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 05:01:33 CEST 2015

Hey Chipy,

I work at Bank of America as a Quartz developer, the bank's platform for
managing trades, risk etc. developed in Python. We currently have a couple
spots open on my team for developers and we are actively searching to fill
those roles soon so I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone in the
community is interested.

Why this is fun...

It's hard to give an accurate view of Quartz in a couple lines but the
platform is pretty unique. First, we work in the enterprise, so it's Python
at scale and problems of scale. There's about 3,000 python developers
spread across the world working on an open-source inspired code base with
~20MM lines of code -- viewable, searchable, editable to any developer on
the platform.

Second, as a large investment bank, we have access to all aspects of
development from front-end, back-end, cloud computing, and distributed
no-SQL object oriented database (think storing serialized Python, not
serialized JSON/BSON), etc.

You can Google around for some info on Quartz for more information (JPM has
a similar system called Athena, and Goldman Sachs, too, called
SECDB/SLANG).

This is also a good video to watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTOP_shhVBQ

We are looking to hire VERY soon, so please reach out and send a resume to
me or my manager, Tara, or ask any questions.

wirth.jason at gmail.com -or- jason.wirth at baml.com
tara.jalal at baml.com

On to the official description...

Quartz FXCashDB  Technology   Python Developer (Chicago/New York)

Do you have a passion for programming? Are you a tinkerer? Have you had any
experience facing front office users on a regular basis and providing
tactical as well as strategic solutions in a high pressure environment?  Do
you have experience or expertise in Foreign Exchange (FX) markets? If you
answered yes to any of these questions you should consider a job with Bank
of America Merrill Lynch’s Fixed Income, Commodities and Currencies
technology team.

The internal market data technology team is a little slice of Agile in a
great big organization. We are a talented, experienced, and passionate
group of technologists/strategists that prides itself on quality of
delivery, continuous improvement, and a relaxed atmosphere.

We are seeking a developer (5+ years of experience) to join our team, grow
with us, and teach us a few things along the way.

As a successful candidate and team member you must:

·         Be able to *demonstrate proficiency* with excel and *python* and
a reasonable subset of the following:

Java, C++, SQL, UNIX, Messaging (MQ, RV) and Perl.

·         Have a proven ability to *solve problems* with technology - Can
you describe a problem you’ve solved, the details of the solution, and why
you chose the technology you used? Have you had demonstrated success
developing large-scale sustainable applications?

·         Be* passionate* about quality, programming, and software
development in general - Do you “sharpen the saw” and continually explore
opportunities to improve? Are you a technology evangelist? Will you
introduce the group to new technologies and approaches?

·         Be *flexible *with day-to-day responsibilities – Do you have an
interest in polyglot programming? Are you comfortable with working across
multiple systems and potentially using multiple programming languages and
technologies?

·         Be* organized* - Are you able to remain productive even when you
have multiple deliverables?

·         Demonstrate *good* *judgment* - Can you be trusted to make good
decisions independently?

More about us:

·         Bank of America Merrill Lynch is a global financial powerhouse
that markets, trades, and manages risk for various  derivative products

·         Together with team members in Chicago, New York, London,
Singapore, India and elsewhere, the team builds and maintains systems that
are key contributors to the bank’s position in this high revenue business

·         Our developers pride themselves on their interest in technology
and knowledge sharing is encouraged via informal brown-bag lunches,
company-sponsored training, and annual internal developer conferences

About the role:

·         You will be working with a team of developers and business
analysts within FXCashDB team

·         You will participate in most phases of the software development
life cycle including story writing and estimation, design, development,
test planning, test automation, and deployment

--
    Jason Wirth
    wirth.jason at gmail.com