[Chicago] History of programming

Randy Baxley randy7771026 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 16:18:30 CEST 2015

I like this.  Especially the talk about being anal and refering to JAVA.
Normal Wiki searches and the corporate rewrite of JAVA history will not get
you the full story.  JAVA was such a fun concept when it began.  At that
time I did scientific programming with reintrant ( calls / invocation ),
((( calls.invocation))), (calls, invocation) in all of the mentioned
languages as well as PL/1, LISP, REDD, QUERY and a double entry language
that I fail to remember at this time.  There was no dynamic allocation of
memory at that time so no variable length arrays.  The CS/EE class for
machine design prof thought he was having good fun when he asked us to
design a LSI chip that would allow this.  He was really ticked when I did
it though of course still limited by one machine.  No one else in the class
did it so then it was my chance to be ticked that he still gave them A's.
Those carrys are important.

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:01 PM, Jeremy McMillan <jeremy.mcmillan at gmail.com