[Chicago] teaching intro programming to geoscience undergrads, via swc list

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu May 21 20:19:57 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 1:11 PM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:

> One of the coolest classes I had for my CS degree was a combinatorics and
> graph theory class taught in the math department by a prof who was also in
> the education department. Cool things about the class:

okay, now that I'm reminiscing, the other favorite class I had was advanced
logic with an eccentric professor who didn't use any text book and handed
out a photocopy from a Greek textbook so that everyone would be familiar
with the Greek alphabet.

He totally lectured and wrote the hell out of the chalkboard, but it was so
kick ass and we were completely enthralled and scribbling. He also refused
to give grades during hte semester. We kept a homework journal and would
turn it in periodically. He'd return it back with feedback and we had to
keep turning it in until we reached the quality he expected. He'd leave
fake grades like "probably eventually pass" and "pass".

I got a kick out of the photocopy because it was from a Greek textbook I
had from when I took some classical Greek courses for a couple of semesters.

This was in the math department and also counted towards a CS degree.

Okay... and while I was there, I found a mathy class in the philosophy
department that also concerned logic and took that too. excellent combo of
classes. I had thought about adding philosophy as a major for cognitive
science stuff but ended up adding psychology because it felt like
experimental philosophy.

shekay at pobox.com