[Chicago] teaching intro programming to geoscience undergrads, via swc list

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu May 21 17:31:29 CEST 2015

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Jeremy McMillan <jeremy.mcmillan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> after I've shared similar work with them, so I've just started looking for
> some didactic material. I'm really excited to take a deeper look at
> Software Carpentry now.

I have much respect for them. http://software-carpentry.org/ and
http://datacarpentry.org/

Following from http://swcarpentry.github.io/training-course/curriculum/
Despite not being a teacher, I've read How Learning Works: Seven
Research-Based Principles for Smart Teaching
<http://www.amazon.com/How-Learning-Works-Research-Based-Jossey-Bass/dp/0470484101>
and follow Mark Guzdial's blog, https://computinged.wordpress.com/

There are some good splicings and offshoots from swc and openhatch
workshops, e.g.
http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/community-data-science-workshops-2 and you can
find curriculum by following mako's post. Aaron Shaw is a partner with
mako, and he's a prof at Northwestern with some students interested in
running a community data science workshop. I was talking with him about it
a little bit, but I can't really run a new event this year because I'm all
volunteered up with my hackerspace and other things.

I told T about it because he mentioned that there is a huge demand for data
science events.

shekay at pobox.com