[Chicago] [ssh] Lawrence Lessig, "Internet Own Boy" tomorrow

Valentina Kibuyaga namusoke at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 26 23:14:34 CET 2015

Thanks for sharing!

Information is Power!

Valentina

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:47:31 -0600
From: pdp7pdp7 at gmail.com
To: chicago at python.org
Subject: Re: [Chicago] [ssh] Lawrence Lessig, "Internet Own Boy" tomorrow

I attended yesterday, and the talk by Lawrence Lessig and panel
discussion after the screening were excellent.

It was disheartening to hear Lessig state that reform of the Computer
Fraud and Abuse Act (dubbed Aaron's Law) won't likely go anywhere,
primarily due to lobbying efforts led by Oracle against reform.  I had
read about this back in August
(http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2014/08/06/aarons-law-is-doomed-leaving-us-hacking-law-broken/)
and it was a bitter reminder to hear it directly from Lawrence Lessig
yesterday.

My spirits were lifted by two people during the panel Q&A stating that
they did not know of injustice of Aaron's case previously and just
happened upon the film screening.  I really do hope that awareness
continues to rise about the injustice of the CFAA.

(quotes from the director about Oracle's effect on CFAA reform:
http://o.canada.com/technology/swartz-doc-director-oracle-and-larry-ellison-killed-aarons-law
)

cheers,
drew