[Chicago] [ChiPy] Meetup Cancelled: Django Study Group

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Wed Dec 9 19:57:48 EST 2015

Hi Lane,

I liked the structure of the meetings, although I only attended a couple of
them.  I think the problem is that for this to really work you need a group
of regulars who attend almost all the time and who are at the same level of
programming development or skill.  The feeling that I got from being there
is that it's really a place to network for jobs, etc rather than learn a
web framework or web programming.  I certainly do like the idea of showing
up on Sundays to learn some Python web programming, but it's going to be
very difficult to organize.  The problem with any learning environment is
that you have to enforce prerequisites.  If those prerequisites aren't met,
then it becomes a disaster.  So what should the prerequisites be?  Should
people know HTML before showing up?  How familiar should they be with
Python?  Python 2 or Python 3?  Or both?  Does it matter which OS they
use?  Should they know something about networking and security?

I think the idea is awesome, but the implementation will be problematic,
especially if the leader of the group is doing this pro bono.  I mean....
he or she has to pay rent and bills too, right?    :-)

Happy Holidays,

Douglas.