[Chicago] Examples of great documentation

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Wed Oct 22 15:59:38 CEST 2014

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Jason Wirth <wirth.jason at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious if people have examples of great documentation. The more
> specific the better; rather than saying "The Django documentation", is
> there a particular section that stands out?

Stripe has beautiful api documentation. It is easy to read, they provide
examples in multiple languages, and the navigation is easy to use.

https://stripe.com/docs/api

I bookmarked them as an example to live up to while I was writing api docs.

I've not needed to write any stripe client, so I don't know how good the
rest of the docs are. https://stripe.com/docs

I was using google's api docs for youtube last night. I hate how much I had
to switch context to find what I was looking for. But, I do like how they
provide interactive examples.

Re django docs. I hate them. It is hard to remember how to navigate to what
I want. I end up googling key words in the docs to find what I want.

I'm very opinionated about the topic. I could go on and on.

There's a conference about this that Carl has recorded.

http://conf.writethedocs.org/

We host the videos on the rackspace pyvideo account, unless the wtd folks
have taken it over on their own system.

shekay at pobox.com