[Chicago] What Statisticians can learn from Software Engineers talk 27 Oct Noon

Joe Germuska joe at germuska.com
Fri Oct 10 18:37:36 CEST 2014

What a great idea for a talk! I’d had a sense of the mismatch between how data analysts and developers approach data management, and it really came to the fore while we were building CensusReporter.org.

Joe

On Oct 9, 2014, at 8:26 PM, Tanya Schlusser <tanya at tickel.net> wrote:

> Here are links to Paul Teetor's talk. It's at noon downtown Oct 27 at the East Bank Club -- limited spots so sign up quick; it costs $35 I think.
>
>  Main ASA Event page
> Link to their meetup group
>
> (note that Chicago ASA membership is totally cheap at $15/yr and worth it)
>
> -----
> Title: "What Can Statisticians Learn From Software Engineers?"
>
> Abstract
>
> Do any of the following problems sound familiar to you? Your organization is swimming in SAS code or R code. You've saved numerous versions because you can't afford to lose anything. People are unsure what's the best version. Testing your code is difficult, so you often put changes into production and hope for the best. You've cut-and-pasted your code so many times that you're seeing the same parts over and over. You vaguely sense that there must be a better way.
>
> Software engineers have spent decades dealing with these problems, and the result is a body of best practices and useful tools for managing software.
>
> This talk will review some techniques of software engineering and how they apply to managing a body of statistical software. Topics will range from code-level practices to design issues and project control.

Joe Germuska
Joe at Germuska.com * http://blog.germuska.com * http://twitter.com/JoeGermuska

"Participation. That's what's gonna save the human race." --Pete Seeger