[Chicago] New member and introducing myself.

Lewit, Douglas d-lewit at neiu.edu
Sat Oct 4 00:05:15 CEST 2014

Hi there fellow Python enthusiasts,

I just joined the group and would like to introduce myself.  I teach math
part-time at Oakton Community College, and am currently enrolled in the
second semester of Java at Northeastern Illinois University.  Java is okay,
but my preference is for Python.  I think Python is a wonderful language
for people coming from a Maple/Mathematica/Matlab background--such as
myself.  I haven't taken any formal courses in Python, but am learning the
language on my own through books and online tutorial videos.

Quick question here.  In my Java course we just got done learning about
static methods and non-static methods (although I'm still a little confused
about their difference ).  I know that Python can be programmed using the
OOP paradigm.  Does Python also have static methods and non-static methods?

Thanks!

Best,

Douglas Lewit