[Chicago] Thursday ChiPy

Yarko Tymciurak yarkot1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 03:45:38 CET 2014

Talk would be great (or at minimal - o.k.)

R itself is mathematically / functionally nice, architecturally an evil
hack.

I tried to put up a web services site for R functions and went down many
"existing" paths before I came to hate it.  You basically cannot separate a
request from an instantiation, so this either really taxes server resources
or limits what you can do.

It looks to me like its stuck being a single user desktop app.

Look at Pandas or Julia or other stuff, use it (as part of a non-desktop
single user solution) only when you really, really have to.

That was my experience with it - a mathematician's hack, a useful oddity -
not a good component for systems; limited.

YMMV.

My opinions are my own.

Regards,
Yarko