[Chicago] Chicago Digest, Vol 102, Issue 33

JP Bader jp at zavteq.com
Fri Feb 21 22:13:51 CET 2014

I think introductions are a great way to meet people, but often find it
more rewarding on a personal level to meet people individually, or in a
group of 2-3 folks. It definitely helps that I'm relatively extroverted.
But I have definitely met people who do not want to be in the limelight,
nor do they feel comfortable having to meet others. Maybe the talk sounded
interesting, or they want to work on a project with some people they know
might be there.

As a future greeter at the Chicago Python Workshops, I hope to make
introductions, help people feel comfortable meeting others, and assist with
projects however I can. Since there are multiple ongoing Chicago Python
opportunities (including, but not limited to office hours, workshops, et
al), it might be more comfortable to do introductions on smaller scales.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM, Yarko Tymciurak <yarkot1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> ChiPy has seen 50-100 on a given night; having intros only sometimes seems
> problematic...
>

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Jennifer Leadbetter <jleadbet at gmail.com>wrote:

>> I think this is a good idea. It may need a little tweaking, though:
>> suddenly springing the "Hey, if you're new, come up in front of all these
>> strange people and introduce yourselves right now" works for some people,
>> but not everyone. :D
>>
>> What I've seen work really well is when you have groups where someone
>> gives an intro to the evening's events, introduces themself as an example,
>> and then has everyone else go around the room (or row by row, depending on
>> how the room is arranged). No one stands up; people can pass; and they just
>> say their name and a single-sentence summary of what they do or their
>> relationship to [Python, Scala, tropical penguins, or whatever the group is
>> about].  The last person to introduce themselves is the main speaker for
>> the night.
>>
>> This removes the burden of old-timers needing to figure out or remember
>> who is new (and also mistakenly thinking someone is an old-timer when
>> they're not, or [worse] visa-versa). It takes the pressure off of newcomers
>> who might feel singled-out, and it allows them to make note of names of
>> people they might want to introduce themselves to after the meeting.
>>
>> Of course, it isn't very suitable huge gatherings, and it may or may not
>> fit what people in ChiPy feel comfortable with, but provided people keep it
>> short (name, what you do, 15 seconds or less), I've seen it work for events
>> of 20-25 people.
>>
>> It's an interesting thought. What do other people think about intros?
>>
>> Jen

JP Bader
Principal
Zavteq, Inc.