[Chicago] Community/Social Alliance Help

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Feb 6 09:36:34 CET 2014

Hey all,

It's an exciting idea to see ChiPy work more on getting the word out. As
someone who's done similar things for other groups I've been involved in,
and who's seen some groups fork due to leader conflicts and others stay
coherent in the face of growth, here are my suggestions for how to do that
well.

For the group to feel good about the outreach someone is doing, generally
they should:

* Not spend much of their professional life recruiting software engineers;
otherwise, that tends to make people uncomfortable with their motives.

* Be someone who is interested in listening to other local group organizers
and finding out where cross-overs might be found.

* Be someone who maintains a very healthy attitude of respect toward all
people, including respecting diversity of personal background/gender/etc.
and of professional background (new programmers/geologists doing Python in
academia/etc.).

I am sure that the group will pick such a person, and I'm excited to see
someone like that step forward.

I'm a little concerned by Brian Ray mentioning he wants to grow the group
while maintaining the "bit of an insider group" feel. It seems to me those
goals are at odds. I'm also a little confused (and honestly, weirded-out)
by the switching between "we" and "I" in the original email. It's not clear
if ChiPy is organized by multiple people with a process, or just Brian Ray.
The ChiPy website seems silent on this point.

Regardless, as this thread is primarily about who will volunteer, let's see
who can help. That's the most important step.

I will also say that "I would like to hand some specific instructions for
the first meeting or two... then let you take it from there" seems like a
reasonable set-up for a volunteer.

p.s. I sent this from the wrong address a moment ago; pardon the noise,
dear moderator.