[Chicago] M$ Team Foundation Service/Server

Philip Doctor diomedestydeus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 02:07:25 CEST 2013

I wasn't going to step in as I'm sure there's a ton of folks who are far
more knowledgeable than I am on both subjects.  But since everyone's a bit
busy at the moment, I'll tell you what little I know.

* I've only used TFS for one project, and it wasn't a python project

TFS (as you noted from the JIRA comparison) is a ton more than version
control, it's also the task tracking, build server, code review tool, bug
tracking, automated test server, some amount of deployment although that's
sketchy etc etc etc.  You ask for a direct comparison to Git, but in fact
TFS supports Git as well for version control if you dislike their central
version control software (they're using libgit2 and contributed to the
project).

When you say "Can I use it like I use JIRA" I can't answer, because JIRA
has an insane amount of customization, far more than I've ever wanted or
needed, but I know some people have immensely complicated work flows that
they built in JIRA.  What I can say is that you can trivially track tasks,
create burn down charts, etc.

> Can I still develop on OSX and Ubuntu?

Yes, but how effectively you're using it is going to depend on your tools.
TFS obviously works best with Visual Studio, inside VS there's every bell
and whistle you (or more accurately, MSFT's UX team) can imagine.  That
said, there's also an eclipse plug in although a lot of python folks also
dislike eclipse.  Outside of that, there's things like their git-tf command
line tools:
http://tfs.visualstudio.com/en-us/learn/use-git-and-xcode-with-tfs
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4240

My best advise to you is, if you're strongly considering this as an option,
get a free account and play around with it:
http://tfs.visualstudio.com/en-us/

Then if you love it/hate it, give us a 10 minute presentation ;)