[Chicago] July talks

sheila miguez shekay at pobox.com
Thu Jul 4 17:21:12 CEST 2013

I submitted a 5 minute lightning talk (I entered it in to chipy.org and
here is the blurb).

A SciPy recap: Tracking history and provenance with Sumatra

This lightning talk recaps a [talk on Sumatra](
http://pyvideo.org/video/2039/using-sumatra-to-manage-numerical-simulations-sc)
from the reproducible science track at SciPy2013.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Brian Ray <brianhray at gmail.com> wrote:

>  +1 I love ipython
>
> so here is what we got so far (on http://chipy.org):
>

>    - *Asynchronous I/O in Python 3*
>    (0:30:00 Minutes)
>    By: Feihong Hsu
>    I'm going to talk about PEP 3156 and go over basic usage of the
>    reference implementation, codenamed Tulip.
>    - *ipython / notebook demo*
>    (0:20:00 Minutes)
>    By: Jason Wirth
>    ipython was a big focus of Scipy, Fernando gave a keynote, Brian gave
>    a talk, and there was a tutorial. ipython appeals to a broad audience from
>    beginners to advanced users. IDLE is awful and I basically learned Python
>    using iPython. Presenter will touch on the powerful features and
>    extensibility for advanced users.
>

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Jason Wirth <wirth.jason at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'll do a short small ipython / notebook demo.
>>
>> ipython was a big focus of Scipy, Fernando gave a keynote, Brian gave a
>> talk, and there was a tutorial.
>>
>> Also, ipython appeals to a broad audience from beginners to advanced
>> users. IDLE is awful and I basically learned Python using iPython. There
>> are also really powerful features and extensibility for advanced users.
>>

>> --
>> Jason Wirth
>>     213.675.5294
>>     wirth.jason at gmail.com
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM, sheila miguez <shekay at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Okay, getting this thread started.
>>>
>>> Lightning talks on scipy stuff?
>>>
>>> Me, Jonathan?
>>>
>>> Some sort of scientific python long talk?
>>>
>>> volunteer
>>>

>>> --
>>> sheila

> Brian Ray