[Chicago] Do you have a Github/Bitbucket account?

Randy Baxley randy7771026 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:34:32 CET 2013

There had been a question as to who was still using souceforge.  While
getting my mind warmed up this morning the speaker for IPython at Pycon
last year mentioned that they had put the code out on GitHub and what
benefits they got from that.

Later in the talk he was showing how you could pull code from various
galleries and this matplotlib which is on sourceforge was one of them.

...end of last sentence explanation.

Random thought this brings to mind.

There was a time when the FORTRAN ansi folks would see what was popular in
other languages and then would assimilate that functionality in their next
release.  Putting in plugs for both YouTube and pyvideo.org here there is
so much that a new person to Python can take in even if in a non-linear
fashion then build an internal dict of information for later sorting and
retrieval or by our own PostgreSQL.

...end of that thought...  now I actually came back to this thread because
I was going to go look at the archives to see how many new to Python folks
come through ChiPy and how many are still around.  The depth of talks in
some of these videos is amazing and of course I am also amazed at
the consistent attendance by many members for the last few years.