[Chicago] Shall ChiPy have a "project night"?

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Fri Aug 30 05:56:16 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> wrote:
>>> 1) Whats your definition of "night"? It's often hard for me remake nights
>>> with my crazy schedule, Chipy meetings are hard enough (but they are so
>>> awesome so I go out of my way), but I'd be down for organizing weekday
>>> events, like Friday afternoons.
>>

>> In my mind, one of the key distinctions between a "project night" and a
>> "co-working get together" is that the former is something that a group puts
>> on, with an eye toward welcoming new people into group, and the latter is
>> something that friends or co-workers put together for each other.
>
> Learning over productivity.
>
> No one should be hesitant to ask for help because they think they
> would be breaking someones flow. We are not there to get things done,
> we are there to learn.
>
> It should be restricted to learning Python.  It is easy to get
> derailed into trying to install Linux, or html/css browser problems.
> It's great that a bunch of people are learning random things, but if
> we hare concentrating on something other than Python, we are not
> learning Python.

I think you're suggesting something else that could also occur, but a
project night is a project night. It *is* productivity - working on a
project. Learning night or whatever you want to call it could be
another thing, or *the* thing if that's what people actually want, but
that's not a project night.