[Chicago] Shall ChiPy have a "project night"?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Aug 29 20:36:33 CEST 2013

Hey ChiPy folks! I'm a vagabond Python community organizer, and in a diff
thread, Brian mentioned my idea that ChiPy host a thing called a project
night. So I thought I'd take a moment to elaborate and see what y'all
think.

As context:

Project nights are user group meetings where attendees come with their
laptop computers and a desire to work on something Python-related. These
kinds of meetings are often the first thing that user groups add when they
want to become more welcoming to newcomers. They're intended to be
open-ended, social, and inviting. No agenda, just encouraging people to
work on whatever they'd like and/or find other people to work with.

I explain more here: http://user-groups-beta.openhatch.org/#project-night

I'm on a mission to help more Python user groups be more interesting and
welcoming to newcomers, so I thought I'd see here what people think.
First, a quick request; I'm trying to gauge interest, so if you would like
this sort of meeting, reply to me <asheesh at asheesh.org> with:

+1

The event is pretty easy to run; it requires finding a venue with laptop
space, and then making a sign-up page that has some friendly, inclusive
language. (And you can even copy other groups' sign-up pages if you click
on the above link to find samples.)

Some user groups (like Boston's) run one project night and one
lecture-style meeting night monthly. I would say, try doing one first, see
how ChiPy likes it, and then dream about committing to a frequency.

So, second -- if there's someone on the list willing to be the organizer
of such an event, please stand up. (-: If not, I'll have to call on
someone. (-;

I'm on the list, and happy to discuss the idea further and take questions
about how it works, what the goals are, etc. Hopefully many of those are
answered at the link I gave, but who knows; that's why it says, "beta".

-- Asheesh.