[Chicago] pydev

Jordan Bettis jordanb at hafd.org
Mon Apr 29 17:41:42 CEST 2013

On 04/29/2013 12:32 AM, Yarko Tymciurak wrote:

 > Well, and another definition off value us if your own time -
opportunity cost.
 > What us your time worth, and what does some tool save you in time?
 > What us that worth on an ongoing basis?

 > I pay my $95 annual maint for wingIDE because I figure it saves me (much)
 > more than an hour of time over the year, i.e. pays for itself nicely
(and the
 > responsiveness of their support points to reliable vendor relationship).

 >Whatever your favorite, I suppose you will measure this relative benefit
 > over some ”free” baseline - fair enough.

I'm curious what kind of vendor relationship $95 gets you. That's worth,
what?
an hour of engineering time? Not including overhead.

I've been using emacs my entire career. It does what I need it to do and
when
it doesn't, I can modify it to do that. Usually modifying it just means
installing
a script someone else has written because of the brilliantly rich developer
community using emacs.

In that time I've seen proprietary developer users bounce from editor to
editor
as their vendor looses interest: Borland, Pico, textmate, etc.

For me, making sure such an important piece of software is a FLOSS project
with a good community behind it is a smart investment. I can count on
the Emacs community not going out of business or requiring some sort
of forced "upgrade" something that doesn't work for me.

Now if only there was a way I could stop Lenovo ruining the Thinkpad.