[Chicago] Talk ideas for May

Christopher Allan Webber cwebber at dustycloud.org
Sat Apr 20 17:00:39 CEST 2013

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've given a talk at ChiPy.  I have several
topics queued up that I'd love to speak about:

 - Hy: a lisp that transforms itself into the python AST.  It's really
   cool, and I think it may have an extremely interesting future!

   http://hy.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
   http://hylang.org/

 - Should MediaGoblin be a Django application?

   ~2 years into being developed as a "django-like" web application that
   does not use django and in fact uses no framework and just cobbles
   together a bunch of good libraries, it's time for a reflection: was
   that the right choice?  What historical reasons lead to this
   decision?  Have the reasons stayed the same?  What have we learned?
   What would switching look like, and why should or shouldn't we?

 - In-project virtualenvs (lightning talk)

   This talk advocates for an unusual method of setting up a virtualenv
   that I believe will make things a lot easier for your contributors.

 - Release your secret sauce

   This talk is more of a social/philosophical talk about trends in web
   development.  Releasing libraries as FOSS is the hip/cool thing to
   do, but why aren't we seeing as many full web applications being
   released in such a manner?

I am going to suggest I give talks on #1 and also #3 since it's super
short.  The other ones I'm still interested in talking about in the
near-future, though.

Alternately we could do an ALL CHRIS WEBBER CHIPY wait that's a terrible
idea let's not.

 - cwebb